Wednesday, April 27, 2016

A Confession of Sorts

Many of you know I have been dealing with health issues, writing has been difficult. That being said, things are improving.

I'm addicted to Facebook.

I enjoy keeping in touch with people, connected.

But I'm concerned.

It is only a hobby and the doctor told me I should have one.

Hobby: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation.

I'm not a philatelist, a gardener, or a bird watcher. 

Not one of my politically motivated friends will change my beliefs but I read much of what they say. Not one of my recipe enlightened friends will convince me to try the 'Super Easy Twisty Cheesy Pizza' but I look at the pictures. I admit a fascination with Ancestry.com but will never join. At this stage of the game I don't want confirmation Irving wasn't my real father.

So I look and I post and I check to see what my friends are doing and I spend time and I relax doing it. Isn't that the definition of a hobby?

But I also worry.




I try to post twice a day. Usually in the guise of Steve the Cat. So, why do I worry? Because Steve has a number of folks who enjoy his antics on a regular basis and when one is absent for a few days I think bad things. 

Something happened to them, or worse, they no longer care.

And it just may be they are busy and that would be good.

So in order to expand my hobby I started posting in two cat groups. I don't know these people but we all have something in common, cats. I try to find interesting pictures of Steve and add funny comments. It's something to do, I like it, Steve likes it and we get to spend quality time together.

But the longer I am involved the more I am realizing cyber space is FILLED with cats. They're everywhere. When I started I wanted Steve to be special, therefore I would be too. Now I realize he is. He always will be.

Yesterday I watched a video made by a young woman reporter. She apologized to the older generation. She spoke of her peers and how so many were self absorbed, entitled, Kardashian loving twits with no manners. She talked about how 'they' should be grateful and caring and concerned more with developing meaningful actual relationships rather than ones on Facebook.

An hour later I saw this:

This was posted in a cat group, I don't know why.

Under the photo he wrote "Friend Me."  

As you may guess it wasn't there long. It got a number of very cleaver comments. Finally the poster wrote an apology:

"Sorry. I'm just trying to get famous."

The guy has 3,000 friends.

I'll take the ones I have, thank you very much. Republicans and Democrats, foodies, historians, older physical fitness folks and anyone interested in equal rights and bathrooms for all.

I really had mixed emotions about posting this picture. I certainly don't want to be a part of his quest to gain fame via the Internet but doubt that many of you will 'friend' him. 

No comments: