Thursday, July 25, 2013

When A Name Is A Description....

Weiner, Weiner, Weiner. 

A public figure with a beautiful, smart, intelligent wife sends sexually suggestive pictures to strangers? Why would he do that? He's a politician, well that explains it. 

Wanda has a rare Thursday off and we are going to celebrate. Costco, the post office and a few other errands are in our sights. 

The blog entry today will include a few more money saving tips courtesy of AARP. 

1. Find Free Stuff: Web sites like Freebie-Depot.com, Mrfreestuff.com and Shop4Freebies.com offer samples of products and online coupons and rebates.

I admit I'm more than a little jaded by offers of "freebies." If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Everything on the Internet is true....bonjour. However, you may want to look into (and sign up for) the savings.

One site has a coupon for a free waffle at Waffle House (not to be mistaken with.) THE Waffle House, International House of Pancakes, The Pancake House or Wilfred's Chicken & Waffles in Tuscaloosa. The next, or companion coupon, is for free samples of toilet tissue. How appropriate is that?

I don't know if they send a package, a roll, or individual squares.

You can also take advantage of a dollar off coupon for a one dollar toothbrush at the Dollar Store.

I don't spend any of my spare time pouring over Internet coupons, joining websites, and getting even more e-mail. But that's just me. I took a quick look and there are some great deals to be had. When I finish here I am going to download the Chuck & Cheese offer. A medium pizza, two drinks, and 25 tokens for $19.95. I so love a nice quiet evening out with the family.

2. Seniors Pay Less: Many retails offer discounts to older people, usually over 55, on certain days of the week, or month. Some grocery stores and pharmacy's do the same. Ask at your local store. 

It's uncanny. All the sales in my area are 28 days after receiving a social security check. The cat food is always on sale.

3. Pray For Rain: Look for current sale items that are currently out of stock. Ask for a rain check so you can pick them up later-at the sale price-when you want them. 

OK, rain checks have 'use by' dates and this is a senior site. Who's the devious bastard that thought of this? It takes enough energy to shop as it is. Now I'm going to run around looking for sale items that are not in stock? I don't think so.

This reminds me of the person who buys a $60 item (they did not need) on sale for $30 and claims they "saved money."

4. Any Special Promotions? Always ask when ordering catalog items over the phone. Many times there are offers like discounts or free shipping that the operator isn't allowed to mention unless the customer asks. 

I am probably one of the only people that ever overpaid for a wooden fish mobile in Mexico. I HATE to barter. But asking over the phone, I could do that.

Once upon a time I advertised a used car for sale. I was asking $1000.00. A guy came and looked. "I like the car, he said. Is the any chance of me JEWING YOU DOWN?" "Nope, not chance. And the price is now eleven hundred."

5. Save Your Shoes: Moisture and perspiration or mud puddles is tougher on shoe leather then pounding the pavement. If shoes get wet, stuff crumpled newspapers into them to wick up moisture. Or put a charcoal briquette into a sock and put that in the shoe overnight to both absorb the wetness and eliminate odor.

Do you have newspaper? Do you have charcoal briquettes? You can go online and look for coupons. Or go to ShoeBuy.com and ask the operator if they have special offers.

Maybe I'm passing up great savings by not doing all this 'coupon hunting' but rarely have I seen anything I want or need. Spending for the sake of saving isn't saving at all.

No comments: