Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Quinoa and Other Food to Love

Yesterday two friends wrote about poutine. 

I'd never heard of pountine.

My auto correct wanted to change my misspelling of it to turpentine.

According to Wikipedia:

Poutine is a dish originating in Quebec, Canada, made with french fries, topped with a light brown gravy-like sauce and cheese curds. This fast-food dish is found across Canada and in some places in the northern United States. 

French fries topped with gravy? Sounds great don't you think. I mean, what's not to like....until maybe you get to the cheese curds. I don't know, nor at this point in my life do I care to know, what curds are. I remember something about a girl and a tuffet but that's another story.

I don't know much about cheese either. 

When I was growing up we had one kind of cheese. It was yellow and came wrapped in an individual plastic sleeve. It is only within the last few years I've experienced Brie cheese and it took a year before I was brave enough to eat the rind on the outside of it.

Now I eat Brie, Gouda, Havarti and Swiss.

I have always had an aversion to food I'm not familiar with and names I can not pronounce.

Quinoa.

It's pronounced Keen-Wah.....and that sounds OK.

Quinoa is a species of the goosefoot genus, a grain crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, as it is not a member of the true grass family.

You have got to check this out

Chocolate salted Keenwah, now that's good eating.

There are more than 40,000 varieties of cultivated rice in the world and I grew up with one.

White.

From King Fongs Chinese on Dexter Avenue in Detroit.

Now I am determined to try new food items. 

I might like coconut milk (or is it water) and odd bushy fruit. I might enjoy eating things that years ago would have only been eaten to extend life. I mean really? Who drinks coconut juice? Or is it milk?

Last year we all celebrated some family event at a local Italian restaurant.

I ordered Spaghetti Carbonara.

The other day I watched a WW2 documentary that indicated spaghetti carbonara was first made by the liberated Italians because American soldiers gave them eggs and bacon which were previously hoarded by the Germans.

I ate a dish invented in my lifetime and I thought I was being adventurous.

The next time I am going to order bruschetta pasta rockcrok.

And did you know there are around 7,500 varieties of tomato's.

I eat one.

and it's red.

from a post 6-25-15

No comments: